Sunday, May 08, 2005

 

Wait til next year!

Us guys will get together to ditch that whole breakfast in bed thing next time around.

[News Analysis]

The results are in. Most moms do not want breakfast in bed for Mother's Day. According to a CM poll, 83% of mothers viewed breakfast in bed negatively, while only 8.5% said that they would like breakfast in bed. Another 8.5% had no strong opinion about breakfast in bed per se, but indicated that any pampering effort would be appreciated.

______________________________


Do You Want Breakfast in Bed for Mother’s Day?



No, I hate it!50 %

Somewhere at home, but not bed16 %

Brunch out8.5 %

Spa gift certificate, please8.5 %

It’s the thought that counts8.5 %

Yes!8.5 %

_______________________________

Experts say that the 8.5% b-in-b support could be soft, however, because respondents say that the breakfast should be supplemented by "armloads of gifts."

The poll, conducted with a sample of 12 mothers who randomly commented on this post, may have a margin of error, but not one that could possibly cast doubt on the overwhelming rejection of breakfast in bed.

The percentage of mothers who are getting breakfast in bed this morning cannot be precisely known, because we haven't done the data collection. [Moms: help me out here -- what did you get for Mother's Day today?]

However, the polling results do tell us that most mothers who are getting some sloppy, crumby meal thrust at their tired faces on a big tray are not getting what they want.

Let's face it: men and children are not that great at figuring out what would be a nice thing to do for mom on a Sunday morning. Breakfast in bed is a national shortcut to that difficult intuitive work. While it may be too much to ask of society to jettison the idea of a generic mother's day gift, clearly breakfast in bed is the wrong one.

What we need is a "massive manversation" nationwide to come up with a better version of the "can't miss" mother's day gift. My suggestion: yup, the spa gift certificate, for a day away from us.

**

Comments:
My Mother's Day loot:

One (1) mug with a picture of my Adorable Offspring on it, presented to me (twice) by my oldest Adorable Offspring and accompanied by several choruses of "Happy Mother's Day to You."

Two (2) Calvin & Hobbes treasuries, which I have promised to read aloud to my Adorable Offspring.

One (1) confection from cool NYC bakery, made out of the darkest chocolate and inscribed, "Happy Mother's Day." From the world's coolest mother-in-law.

Your instincts about the can't-miss Mother's Day gift are dead on. But chocolate is always a good fallback position, if a day out is not available...
 
Mother's Day Chez Moi:

I got some bed time to myself in the morning, after someone (not in the family called at 9AM and woke me) - who the heck calls before noon on Sunday? And about work?

A hand-made tissue-paper flower and a coupon book from my daughter (an only child), that contained such coupons as "I will not fight with my siblings for a day" and "breakfast in bed"

A made-to-order breakfast by my husband, served not in bed, but in the TV room, where I control the remote for the day.
 
We don't celebrate Mother's Day at my house. But my kids are pretty nice to me on a regular basis ....
 
I received a copy of Gods In Alabama, by Joshlyn Jackson, of my favorite bloggers. I also got 3 rhubarb plants, and my husband gardened all day today, clearing out weeds and planting rhubarb, pumpkin, tomato, and pepper plants. Pretty good day. Oh yeah, breakfast without the kids, out with my aunt and uncles, they bought.
 
Well, we have finally gotten around the problem of not knowing what to get each other in this family by getting two or three suggestions from the person who will be receiving the gift about what they would like--forget the guessing!

My suggestions for this year of what I would like were probably not what most moms would want, but we're on a budget that doesn't allow for many non-essentials, which makes simple things extra- special.

I asked for either a low-impact aerobics video with the type of music I like, or a spongy rug for the kitchen floor (to put in front of the stove for my aching 7-months-pregnant feet).

Of course, DH knows that chocolate, jewelry, pampering supplies such as bath salts, or a good book or music selection are always winners too.

The kids made me cards, and DH and the kids picked out a nice kitchen mat for me, along with two bars of dark chocolate and a Butterfinger bar (my favorite!).
 
Forgot to say that the best part of the day was the conversation DH initiated over lunch with our two preschoolers, about what they like best about Mommy and what their favorite things to do with her are. That was more special than any gift.
 
My mother's day:

-slept in until 8 (I'm an early-waker, so I didn't actually sleep, just laid around for an hour while husband took care of our 3 kids and made a lovely breakfast of...

-eggs, fresh fruit, bacon, cinnamon rolls, o.j., served at our breakfast table (per my request);

-Homemade card from preschooler with big red heart in the center proclaiming that "Moms Rooll!", Homemade card from 7-year-old containing coupons for nice helpful things she pledges to do for me;

-Nice bath items from preschooler, spray mister from 7-year old to keep me cool at hot soccer games, cute funky costume jewelry and a large patio umbrella from husband;

-At church, large quantity of chocolate (given to all female adult members of congregation), much enjoyed;

-After church, an hour of blissful isolation laying around in bed reading pointless magazines while husband made grilled pork chops and corn on the cob. Mmmm.

In all, a very good day. I generally get a very good breakfast (thumbs up), in bed (thumbs down), plenty of time to relax (thumbs up), and some sort of plant for our backyard -- in years past, tea olive trees, hydrangeas and impatiens have made appearances. No plants this year, but I really like the patio umbrella.

I don't know if there's really a "universal" gift that would make all moms happy, although chocolate or a spa gift certificate would please many or most. I personally appreciate gifts that I know have been tailored to my personal desires, rather than gifts clearly meant to keep the bearer out of trouble.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]