Monday, March 19, 2007

 

Gaslight

Is it just me, or do hard drives occasionally make saved photos disappear? Every now and then, I try to find an archived photo on my hard drive and it's gone. And I wonder: was it ever there? Did I actually take the photo or just dream about it? Am I losing my mind?

I think hard drives are programmed to "lose" small numbers of photos randomly to gaslight us, their human users. We'll lose confidence in our mental faculties and then, when we're all in a weakened state, the computers will take over. Or Bill Gates.

Comments:
That's what backups are for. And I hear even DVDs aren't built to last. So, for the *really* special photos, print them out.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]