Friday, February 23, 2007

 

Existential Friday: Diane Keaton

I am second to no one in my sympathetic understanding of the mid life crisis as a huge part of the human condition -- the impulse to cling desperately to whatever lingering traces of youth we still have. And so I don't begrudge the leading-edge baby boomers -- 60-somethings, forsooth! -- their big-budget romantic comedies, so long as those don't entail Jack Nicholson or Harrison Ford or Bill Murry macking and smooching on the likes of Scarlett Johansson.

logo

My question is this: who appointed Diane Keaton to the position of National Commissioner for Aging Female Sexuality?

Don't get me wrong: I am a strong believer in Aging Female Sexuality, because (a) it exists, (b) it's only right and fair, and (c) I'm an aging male. I'm perfectly capable of seeing the hotness in a 61-year old woman. And I'm all in favor of having a National Commissioner, in the form of an actress who gets all the "I've still-got-it-after-all-these-years mom" parts, like 61-year old Keaton's latest, the mom of Mandy Moore in Because I Said So.

But does it have to be Diane Keaton? Who could never act? Who was never really hot at any time, Woody Allen's thing for her notwithstanding? Who now looks weirdly like a 38-year-old who's had wrinkles superimposed on her by the studio makeup artists so she could play a grandma?

Is the problem a lack of suitable alternatives? Goldie Hawn (also 61) has had too much work done and looks too creepy. Michelle Pfeiffer is too young (48) and maybe too beautiful to be the archetypal sexy mom.

Your nominations please! We need a candidate to unseat Keaton!!!

Comments:
Ah, I was coming to suggest Susan Sarandon, too.
 
Nice suggestions, but Diane Keaton has really cornered the market on SINGLE female characters of a certain age. Lange and Sarandon play sexy married types.

I've seen Because I Said So, and she's really working it. (She even wears a dress!) Maybe her appeal is that she's as sexy now as she was in 1970s, even if she's never been all that sexy.
 
is 54 this year.
 
I think Keaton gets so many starring roles and the cosmetic endorsements because she's attractive to women. That is, there must be some studio research or something that says women look to Keaton as a kind of role model, they somehow identify with her or feel that she's sexy but approachable and non-threatening -- and her quirkiness is endearing. Her movies and ads are aimed straight at women, not at men.
 
I saw a preview to some upcoming movie with Meg Ryan as the Mom instead of the Love Interest. But like Goldie, she's had too much work done/looks to freaky to be considered aging well.
 
Old women should be heard and not seen.
 
Rene Russo
Cybil Sheppard
Laurne Hutton
 
Perhaps your 50 something blow up doll would do?

What would possess you to write such a mean spirited post? Are you really Norman Bates in drag?
 
Helen Mirren
Cher
Bette Midler

If you're looking for older female "sexy role models" go pick up a copy of More magazine.

---
rdfxmx - "Red Fox mix" - (a) a video compilation of the "best of" Red Fox. (b) Purina Fox Chow for red foxes
 
Irene Done:Very good point. I guess I sort of knew that, but then drifted off into my own male point of view. But the question remains: why Diane Keaton? Why not somebody smarter and more talented?

Sissy Willis: what do you plan to do when you're middle aged? Actually, don't answer that -- I don't want to know.

HDhouse: Another example of the general rule that the most critical comments on a blog post are from those who miss the point. How many times/ways do I have to say that I'm in favor of having 60-something women in romantic leads? So what's mean-spirited about saying that I find Diane Keaton annoying?
 
I was gonna say Susan Sarandon, too.

Stockard Channing?
 
"But does it have to be Diane Keaton? Who could never act? Who was never really hot at any time, Woody Allen's thing for her notwithstanding?"

That's probably the most accurate thing I've ever heard said about Diane Keaton. Although, for a not-particularly-talented-or-attractive-waif she has done quite well for herself. LOL.

Agree with the others about Susan Sarandon... we don't think of her as a great beauty, but she is and has always been very gorgeous and very, very underrated.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I think the problem with Diane Keaton is that she isn't and never was sexy - turtlenecks, high waisted "trousers" - she comes off false and unbelievable in that sense. I'm not critiquing her as an actress per se - but don't try and sell her as sexy - she's not even feminine for that matter - she seems masculine in fact.
 
I think the problem with Diane Keaton is that she isn't and never was sexy - turtlenecks, high waisted "trousers" - she comes off false and unbelievable in that sense. I'm not critiquing her as an actress per se - but don't try and sell her as sexy - she's not even feminine for that matter - she seems masculine in fact.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]