Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

Tried it!

The "Luther burger" -- i.e., a bacon cheeseburger on a Krsipy Kreme donut bun.

But I figured, why drive all the way to Dectur, Georgia, or to Sauget, Illinois (home of the Luther-Burger-servin' Gateway Grizzlies), or wherever, to get one?

So I made it at home. And from really high quality ingredients: organic ground beef, RGBH-free cheddar cheese, nitrite-free bacon. Even the donut was from the local classy Kosher bakery. These ingredients are so good, the thing was practically "heart-healthy"!

I find it fascinating that when I blogged about this before (here and here), and when I tell people about it now, the reactions I get are so strong -- a kind of amused outrage. What's that about? Envy?

Oh, and the verdict on the burger: tasty, but not something I need to have again.

Comments:
I really wish that you had photo blogged this experiment of yours.

p.s. Any leftovers?
 
Thanks for the wikipedia link. Otherwise, I'd have never known the burger was named after Luther Vandross. My initial reaction is that it's the "Luthor Burger" named after Lex Luthor, one of Superman's nemesis (nemesii? nemisises?). Since the concept is inherently evil, my thoughts went to a super villian.

However, I do believe that this comestable would be a favorite of the Popeye supporting player, Wimpy. But "Wimpy burger" has already been assigned to something much more mundane.

I think the thing that disgusts me most about the Luther Burger is that the donut is (a) deep fried and (b) covered with a sugar glaze. Something about beef and sugar in the same mouthful... yuck. (and donuts in general turn my stomach these days)
 
oh, and I suppose I shouldn't have said anything at all... I had 6 slices of raw fish on cold rice balls for lunch yesterday.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]