Saturday, June 03, 2006

 

It may surprise you to know that I'm basically a positive person

... given my tendency to worry. But take the other day, when I had this dialogue with my colleague, Phil, a senior professor at My Law School:
Phil: How are things shaping up for the summer?
Oscar: Really well.
Phil: Why do you say that?
Why did I say that? It's my positive outlook. A vague sense of well being and a kind of irrepressible sense of optimism about the future that may not quite jibe with the dour facts about the world going to hell in a handbasket. So I replied:
Oscar: Who knows?
But Phil, in his friendly-but-blunt way, persisted:
Phil: You can't just say things are good. There has to be a reason.
How do you explain an ill-defined sense of optimism about the future? How do you catch a cloud and pin it down? Then this weird thing happened. Music started, as if over a loudspeaker. And I started singing:
Oscar: Could it be? Yes, it could. Something's coming, something good ... If I can wait! Something's coming, I don't know what it is, but it is gonna be great! Phil, the air is humming, .... and something great is coming!

Comments:
For some reason, this post reminds me of a Sylvia cartoon. She's sitting in her armchair, scragly hair, torn bathrobe, cigarette dangling, watching a TV ad in which an impeccably dressed woman is dancing in the kitchen while the voiceover sings: "She can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let her husband forget he's a man!"

Over Sylvia's head is a bubble that reads: "That woman must be on drugs!"

denyz - a rapper's song about denny's restaurants
 
I really hope you have tenure. Singing Bernstien/Sondheim collaborations to a colleague? What ARE you thinking???

---
eelyvqf - You've just quaffed eel juice.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]