Friday, February 17, 2006

 

Existential Friday: that look

Last week, after completing a professional engagement, I stopped for donuts. Maybe it was the fact that I was wearing a business suit and I looked sharp in it, plus my smart, new black topcoat. Maybe I was just overdressed for the donut shop. Whatever the reason, the strikingly attractive young woman behind the counter gave me "that look."

I hope you've all experienced "that look" at some point in your lives. I hope you've experienced it many times. But unless you're Harrison Ford, you know quite well that you get "that look" with declining frequency as you get older.

When you're my age, attractive younger people tend to look through you or past you. If they look at you, it's with a sort of friendly kindness that tells you they're the sort of person who would feel comfortable and not grossed out helping the residents of an assisted living home sit down for the Sunday afternoon "Music of the Tropics" entertainment.

But young donut counter gal gave me an intent stare that said "you still have it." I realized that I hadn't gotten "that look" for quite a while.

In fact, I get "that look" about once every two or three years, now. One of these times -- who knows, maybe it was this one -- it will be the last.

Comments:
You get that look all the time, but only realize it once every two or three years. (Or is it only that you notice it when it comes from "strikingly attractive young wom[e]n?")

Word verification: loklggab - local gab, gossip
 
What? It can't be the last!

yvkgvp: (ya've give up?) Something you shouldn't do, especially in regard to getting "that look".
 
Huh. I got an increasingly-rare "the look" today, too, from a random passer-by. I guess I'll offer a theory.

In winter, it's harder to differentiate attractive people from not since everyone's generally bundled up. After several months of that, for example, women's senses become more attuned to picking out more subtle characteristics to find attractive in men: a glint in an eye, the angle of a nose, a spring in one's step, or a snazzy new topcoat perhaps.

When the weather warms up, and everybody's everything is back on display, the more obvious and ostentatious characteristics of beauty overwhelm the senses. Women again become more attracted to the rock-hard abs, bulging biceps, tight butts, and smooth skin typically found in the younger set.

This is not to say you're not a good-looking guy; just that you're facing less competition when the younger guys' assets are buried under layers of Gore-Tex.

[Word verification: Kgzhvkuy - a small, war-torn breakaway republic of the former Soviet Union]
 
Please tell me that B's laptop is dead and she isn't reading your blog this week!

mrhnatkt

"Mr. H? Not cute!"
 
Another theory: "lurker" commenter above = B

[Word verification: wwdlzzjd: "What would Dalai Lama , Zig-Zag man, and Jesus do?"]
 
If you need to be reminded of one's hotness, here are some suggestions:

(a) "Glamour shots" at the local photographer's studio (that soft-focus lens does wonders)

(b) Posting cheesecake photos of yourself in your prime on the Internet (see my LJ entry Does this loincloth make me look fat? for proof)

As I get older, I find that I do still get "the look" but mostly from older people. And honestly, I'd be more than a little creeped out if I got "the look" from my stepson's friends, or people of that age.

----
and Majorsteel, your verificationary entry is hysterical! The possibilities of what would happen if the Dalai Lama, Zig Zag man and Jesus all hung out together is just too funny (and deserves an animated cartoon)

---
gahnmf (GAH - umph): The noise one makes when slipping on ice and falling on one's butt.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]