Friday, January 06, 2006

 

Existential Friday: condolences

My friend L just lost her mom, at around the 2-year anniversary of my mom's death. What do you say to a friend who has just lost a parent? The search for "the right words" is so hard that many of us outsource the problem to Hallmark cards.

In December 2003, I moved into my parents' house to take care of my mom for her last 2 1/2 weeks. To allow her to die in her own bedroom required an exhausting logistical case-management effort on the part of both me and my sister.

One of the nicest condolence notes I received was sent by a friend, D, whose mother had died several years before. D said that she was sure that my mom was grateful that I was there to help her with "that important transition." I don't believe in an afterlife, yet the notion that death was an "important transition" in a person's life struck me as true and somehow very comforting.

So the other day I wrote to my friend L that "when my mom died, I had the feeling that in exchange for this incredible sadness, I was given a token redeemable for a small glimmering of insight. The world was darker but more vivid, and for the first time I could talk as an equal to people who had experienced that loss."

Maybe the Hallmark card is better, I don't know. I wonder whether Hallmark requires its condolence card writers to have had firsthand experience with grief. I doubt it.

Comments:
Yet another beautiful post.

My sincere condolences to your friend.

Don't compare your note to a Hallmark card! Your thoughtful words are leagues above that card mill. It's like comparing a $1.99 artificial flower to a grove of wild flowers.
 
I bet your friend L saves your note for the rest of her life.
 
Janelle's right. A personal, handwritten note is always better, even if clumsily worded. Which yours isn't.
 
This is not comparable at all, but it confirms what you already know: (that any message written by you would be way more wonderful than a printed card): when I was very very ill, near death actually, people sent notes. Bags of notes, from the most unlikely sources: the principal's secretary at my daughters' elementary school, for example. I kept these even as I downsized this summer and got rid of so many notes and papers.

And of course, more often than not, I neglect to send that scribbled note to someone who would benefit from it. So a pat on your back for not neglecting it.

{Of course, you could overkill and be such a compulsive note sender that you look ridiculous. I remember when my mother had cancer, the teen kid of a distant friend of hers was obviously told by his mom to sit down and write a note. It went something like this: "Dear Mrs. XXXXX, I heard you had breast cancer. I am so sorry. I hope you will soon recover and come back to lead a normal life." BTW, there's no danger in me ever doing too many notes. None whatsoever.)
 
Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional Dating resources for free Dating
Find Friends
To find dates for your area please click here Dating
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]