Saturday, July 30, 2005

 

Meanwhile, at the airport, Jesus gets an upgrade...

Yesterday, while waiting at the aiport to meet some family from out of town, I was proselytized. A man holding some religious tracts said to me:
"Do you want to learn more about your creator Jesus Christ?"

I'm no expert in these matters, but last I heard Jesus was held to be the son of the creator. I'm sure some of you, my readers, can tell me which religious sect has promoted Jesus to Creator.

My refusal to accept Jesus as my personal savior has traditionally meant merely that I am not saved and am going to Hell. If I refuse to accept Jesus as my Creator, does this mean that I don't exist? (How interesting that this happened on Existential Friday!)

BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW: My spelling seems to have deteriorated since I began blogging, and I now routinely look up words like "proselytize" by Googling them. While I was fortunate enough to spell it right on the first try, I did learn that "proselytize" was Dictionary.com's "word of the day" on January 4, 2001.

Comments:
I'm not sure Google is the best thing to use as a spell checker - because if a lot of people misspell the word the same way, it will appear that you are correct.
 
Well, since you asked . . . Christianity has always taught that Jesus is both God the Creator and the Son of God. Probably because that's what the Bible teaches. :)

However, not believing Jesus is your Creator doesn't mean you don't exist--any more than not believing the sun is behind the clouds would make the sunlight go away. :)

Just in case anyone is interested, some of the Bible passages that deal with Christ as Creator are Hebrews 1:1-13, Colossians 1:9-23 and John 1:1-34
 
Thanks for the good food for thought this morning, O.M. I blogged about it too.
 
Purple has referred to some of the same Biblical passages I would have cited.

The strange interpenetration of the three Persons of the Trinity--one God in three Persons--is something I'll never understand. (I started asking pastors about it when I was eight years old. I'm fifty-one now.) Christians have always taught and believed that Jesus, the Second Person of the "Godhead," is God in the flesh. Jesus once told His followers, "If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him." He also said, "I and the Father are one."

So, Jesus didn't really get an upgrade at the airport.

Okay, more than enough said.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]