Wednesday, July 13, 2005

 

Hitting the wall

[Part III of IV on reunified Germany. Though, who knows? Maybe I'll never get around to part IV...]

DSCN2565

The "East Side" of town has always had a more ominous connotation in Berlin than in, say, New York or even My Home Town. The photo above is the first panel of a mile-long surviving section of the Berlin wall that was transformed into an impromptu gallery for street artists when the wall came down.

DSCN2517
Berlin wall panel.

Starting about ten years later, the Germans launched a project to restore the original wall paintings, virtually all of which had deteriorated. Many of the original artists returned to restore their work. But a large swath is still in pretty bad shape.

It's interesting to think about the wall art: whether its character as performance predominates over its quality as "hanging" art for posterity. A lot of people treat it that way, at least I think they think they're performing "anti-wall" statements when they slather graffiti on the original or restored wall paintings. There's a ton of graffiti, most of it of the "Kilroy was here" variety, but well after reunification.

DSCN2520 DSCN2515

DSCN2514 DSCN2511
Berlin Wall art -- good, bad, indifferent. It's the doing that counts!
Below: Graffiti. Is it performance art?

DSCN2509DSCN2545
Mmmmm. No. Above right: self absorbed note to friend:
Below: a guy hawking his blog?

DSCN2521

By the way, it's hard to take photos of individual wall-panel paintings. Framing a photo straight on from the sidewalk gives you a narrow focus, but if you back up for a wider angle, you move right into a heavily-trafficked street.

DSCN2537 DSCN2539
Wall photographers in the un-restored section. Right: checking the camera angles.

Here's the famous painting, found on posters and postcards, in which Leonid Brezhnev and Erich Honecker (the then Soviet and East German head honchos) give each other a sexy kiss.

DSCN2548

It seems so laden with queer po-mo meaning until you realize that it's just copied from a news photo:

DSCN2558

So what's behind the wall? Communism? No: it's the famous sandy beaches along the River Spree.

DSCN2526

Yes, indeed, they just put these things there. Kind of cute, and perhaps in hot sunny weather it would be nice. On this overcast day with temps in the upper 50s, it had more of a haunting quality.

DSCN2523 DSCN2533

I love the beach bar cribbed right out of a Gidget movie.

DSCN2527



**

Comments:
Hey Blogger...
Somehow I landed on your blog when scowering the net for sexy making out related information, and your post 'Hitting the wall' grabbed me so I stopped to read. Now I'm glad I found you because I'm trying to improve my site about sexy making out (don't blush :) and your blog here gave me some excellent ideas. Blogger you are a quality blogger and I'm learning some good stuff by being here.

Keep your rhythm and good content flowin ~ and good job Blogger.
 
Hello Blogger, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Hitting the wall. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse articles related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse articles related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse articles. Thank you and I wish you well .
 
Hello Blogger, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Hitting the wall. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a wall art related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my wall art related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link wall art. Thank you and I wish you well .
 
Hey Blogger GREAT title Hitting the wall. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.
 
Blogger GREAT title Hitting the wall. I am actually looking for wall art related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other wall art related blogs. Thank you.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]