Sunday, March 20, 2005

 

An apology

At my age, I was about as sure as one can ever can be about such things that I would never again in my life have the feeling of a 13 year old exposed for having committed a foolish prank. But I just had an eye-opening flashback to seventh grade, when my friend and I were called down to the principal's office for using actual hard liquor as a prop in the western saloon scene in a seventh grade class play.

Check out N.Z. Bear's comment (on Marginal Utility, here and on the TTLB blog), explaining why he has suspended CM and MU from the ecosystem. Here is the gist of it:
Yes, it is possible to “game the system” when bloggers collude. ... The Ecosystem has existed in one form or another for well over two years. This stunt is nothing new: it has been done before, and it will be done again. In the end, there is no technical solution to guarantee cheating cannot occur: but what is guaranteed is that there are plenty of people watching the Ecosystem who will let me know if they see someone attempting to game the system. In the end, it is the community itself that assures a fair playing field, not my code.

I put a great deal of effort into the Ecosystem, and attempt to provide as accurate a guage of weblog’s popularity as is possible to the entire blogging community. If you bothered to read The Truth Laid Bear, you would know that there are no “Ecosystem(‘s) programmers” – there is just me. You’d also know that I’m getting married in just a few weeks, and not surprisingly, don’t really have time for this right now.

Bottom line: both Marginal Utility and The Columnist Manifesto are now banned from the Ecosystem. If you are willing to apologize for the inconvenience caused to both myself and those who value the Ecosystem as a resource, I’ll consider removing the suspension sometime down the line, probably after my wedding. Let me know your decision.
NZ is right of course. I am sorry. He provides this service to people who value it, my prank was a time-wasting irritation, and it was not even original. But what makes me feel most like a 13-year old is NZ's measured, mature response. Not "I will hunt you down in the blogosphere and kill you," but an eye-rolling sigh, an explanation and a request for an apology. What a mensch!

NZ, I apologize. Don't worry about restoring me to the ecosystem. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

***

Comments:
LoL... try not to take it too hard, you still have your JD. ;)
 
I think NZ Bear is taking it a bit overboard when he called your juvenile prank "gaming the system."

It's not as if the TTLB Ecosystem is any real indication of a particular blog's popularity in cyberspace - because it only tallies links from other blogs (in Blogger - which isn't the only blogging community, either) and not page hits, or links from other sources.

Neither were you (nor MU) depriving someone of some legitimately earned financial rewards, such as the "Pay for Play" set up at the erstwhile mp3.com - where 1 million dollars per month were divided up amongst independent musicians based on the number of downloads their songs received in that month. People who were cheating there were "gaming the system," to their financial benefit, and were partially responsible for mp3.com's eventual demise.

And as we all know, the only true indication of 'net popularity is your rank in the Google search engine ;)
 
Google Oscar Madison. You ARE number 1!
 
"No Charge Online Advertising Channels For Any Business"
 
It pretty much covers FREE Marketing related stuff.
 
Feel free to come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
deals are at their best there. Come on by and check it out. :)
 
Hi Blogger I am out searching for the latest information on dating and found your site. An apology contains the type of information that I’m looking for. It certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for dating related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work. I think we should trade links! If you are interested, simply email me at my dating site with your linking informaton. Take care!
 
Hi Blogger I was out searching for the latest information on online personals and found your site. An apology contains the type of information that I’m looking for. It certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for online personals related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work.
 
Hi There Blogger how you going? I was sufing blogs for information on online dating and I came across yours. while An apology wasn't exactly what I was looking for, It was most interesting. I can see why I found your page when I was looking for online dating stuff. Thanks for the read!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]