Friday, June 06, 2008

 

How much time have you spent handling a Rubik's Cube?

The other day I made up this simile in a conversation about teaching. I was trying to make the point that any teaching problem could be solved.

For example, anything worth teaching in a law school class could be made more interesting and important than in that moment than a game of computer solitaire. Various obstacles to deploying a law school's teaching resources in a way that improves learning -- often viewed as insuperable -- can in fact be overcome.

It's a sort of faith in the existence of a solution, at the outset of tackling a problem. "It's like a Rubik's Cube," I said. "You know there's an answer even if you can't see how to get there. It takes determination and persisitence."

Having said that, I have to admit that I found the Rubik's Cube itself so boring (a tedious process to a very unsatisfying goal) that I estimate I've spent less than 5 minutes of my life handling one.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]